For enthusiasts and researchers of the Great Eastern Railway

E22 Class 0-6-0T 1889, 1892

LNER Class J-65

150-159, 245-254

7005 291GERS Collection 7005/291

James Holden built ten new 0-6-0Ts for branch line duties in 1889, known as the E22 class, and numbered 150-159. They were essentially a lighter version of the T18 shunting engines (q.v.), having frames one foot shorter at the rear and smaller side tanks holding 600 gallons, and their width over the cab, tanks and bunker was less than the T18s. The cylinders were smaller in size, although the motion arrangement was the same as the T18s. The original boilers also had fewer tubes, although the standard 0-6-0T pattern was fitted when they were later reboilered. The driving wheels were of cast steel, with balance weights simply formed by filling in the space between two of the spokes. No. 151 is seen here shortly after building – note that it is running as a 2-4-0T with the leading section of coupling rods removed, a common practice with these engines.

7018 233

Another ten E22s were built four years later in 1893 and numbered 245-254. Holden was a keen advocate of flanging the plate-work of locomotives constructed at Stratford Works. Flanging required the installation of heavy presses and the manufacture of die blocks, but the additional expense was recovered by the fact that flanged plate joints needed no angle iron, saved half of the rivet work, and halved the number of joints that could work loose and leak. Thus, the ten new engines featured flanged tank plates and smokebox front plates. However, they also differed in a number of other respects. The tanks, cab and bunker were wider – indeed, almost as wide as the T18s before them – and the tanks were lower in height, but nevertheless held 50 gallons more. Overall, the new engines weighed slightly less. The driving wheels had small balance weights of the usual crescent shape. No. 159 of the earlier batch had a boiler with a steel firebox, and all of the second batch had likewise. No. 252 is shown here after it had been reboilered in May 1910. Comparison with the picture of 151 shows the later pattern of continuous boiler handrails and the Macallan blast-pipe gear. As passenger engines, all of the E22s were fitted with Westinghouse brakes. Although they mostly worked on the country branches, a number were stationed at Stratford in London for working the historic service between Fenchurch Street and Blackwall.

7005 205Real Photographs/GERSHC 7005/205

Under the LNER the E22s became class J-65. As with other ex-GER locomotives, additional coal rails were later fitted, cast chimneys replaced the stovepipes, ‘pop’ safety valves replaced the Ramsbottoms, and steel cab roofs were fitted. No. 7254 is seen here around 1933 with new chimney and coal rails, but retaining the Ramsbottom safety valves and wooden cab roof. Withdrawal began in 1931 due to the closure of the Blackwall service and ‘cascading’ of other classes to branch line work. One engine was usually retained at Stratford Loco Depot however. It was used to shunt the giant mechanical coaling plant but, as a Westinghouse engine, it had another use. A diesel-powered grab crane was used to remove the vast quantities of ash that accumulated at the depot, and the engine of this crane was started by compressed air. More often than not, the air supply in the reservoirs had leaked away when the crane needed to be started, whereupon the E22 would be summoned and its brake pipe connected to the crane to start it.

7018 234Locomotive & General/GERSHC 7018/234

Five of the twenty engines survived to carry the 1946 numbers and this is No. 8211 (ex-7155), with simplified “NE” wartime lettering. This engine escaped having a steel cab roof fitted, and its ‘pop’ safety valves are mounted on the old Ramsbottom seating. One more engine was withdrawn on the eve of Nationalisation, and only this example – 8211 – and 8214 survived long enough to gain BR numbers. No. 68211 lasted until 1953, working at Ipswich Docks and usually running as a 2-4-0T, whilst 68214 survived until 1956 as spare engine for the Yarmouth Beach Quay lines.