For enthusiasts and researchers of the Great Eastern Railway

X Class 2-4-0WT 1862

120-124

These five engines were the only ones to be built at Stratford Works during Sinclair's superintendency. They were small 2-4-0 well tanks with outside cylinders and 4-ft. 1-in. dia. driving wheels. Originally used on the North Woolwich line services, they later moved to less taxing duties in the country area. None were reboilered, and they were scrapped in 1880-1884, although the last survivor - by then on the 'duplicate list' as No. 1220 - became a stationary engine at Peterborough, in which form it lasted until 1907.

This site uses cookies to maintain logged-in status and other essential functions.