E10 Class 0-4-4T 1878-1883
51-60, 87-102, 231-244, 572-591
Massey Bromley added to the Great Eastern’s stock of 0-4-4 tank engines for suburban work with the E10 class, sixty of which were built at Stratford in 1878-83. They were slightly smaller than the earlier engines, and more suitable for the shorter-distance traffic. All were rebuilt with enclosed cabs and new boilers between 1888 and 1896, with several being reboilered a second time with higher working pressure between 1898 and 1903. The locomotive illustrated is No. 101, one of five that were fitted with condensing gear when the GER took over the working of the East London Line in 1885.